October 6, 2013

Travel Companions



 
Just got back last night from a trip to Washington, D.C. What timing! The government shutdown had just started the night before we left so I felt like an "eye-witness to history".  More about that on my travel blog tomorrow at
 
I had recently bought a new camera strap because the connection to the camera on my old one broke. I bought what seemed a fine one for cheap at Target but it proved to be stiff, clunky as well as ugly.
 
 
 The pocket is supposed to hold an extra camera card but and there is another on the other side,  but is so bulky as to defeat the purpose. I cut off the parts that actually attach to the camera and re-created the rest in a nice black and white print that I machine quilted. Mr. Thimble occasionally lugs it for me and he said this wouldn't make him uncomfortable to "wear".

The back of this is lined in a black rip-stop nylon. I just sewed it right to right sides and turned it. Then  stuffed the connection pieces into the folded in ends and sewed top-stitching all around.
 
My only addition was a loop sewn on near the shoulder to slide my lens cap older on to. 
 

 
But the camera needed a companion, too. Therefore, this tote bag. I never walk around with a bag this big on a trip except in transit. This one held snacks, reading materials, emergency stuff, and the ever-present ipad.

 
 

Notice the color below on my ipad cover. I mentioned batteries before. Well, this tiny little bag holds extra camera batteries. Yes, I have a Kodak that takes 4 AA rechargeables
 
 

But, we are not done yet with the color-coordinating. Behold the ensemble of dots and stripes worn with black pants.
It could be worse! I used to have bright
chartreuse green glasses before these pink ones.

I took some pics during the construction of the bag but apparently erased them. It is simple strips so super simple. I boxed off the bottom and put a stiff board in between the outer quilted and the liner bottom for stability.


No comments:

Post a Comment