But, I continue. When I wasn't sewing much during my years as a school librarian, I really missed it. Mostly I missed making something that lasted. Cooking and baking holds no charms for me and I skip over all those yummy looking recipes on Facebook and Pinterest because once you have labored over it and heated up the kitchen someone will EAT IT!
With sewing you can create something unique even if you follow all the steps in the pattern. Then you can wear it, hang it in the window, throw it on the couch, carry it over your shoulder or even gift it to someone else OR in my case because I make a lot and need to defray expenses, SELL it on ETSY. As you can see I am an eclectic sewer.
This week I decided to spend more time with my serger. I signed up for Amy Allen's Beginner Serging on Craftsy and had only completed about half of it. She shows how to make a ruffled apron in order to learn to make ruffles and a rolled hem.
I like all the technical helps in setting up the serger but I couldn't follow the apron directions exactly. Firstly, I thought the apron looked too long and dowdy with five ruffles so I reduced them to four. I chose to use some pretty crazy prints instead of the ombre shading from ruffle to ruffle. I didn't like the waist finish and ties either. I made mine from a large stash of grosgrain ribbon I acquired a while back. (See post here)
This first try was especially challenging because I used the woolly nylon serger thread that is supposed to make a better rolled edge.
The woolly term is because the thread untwists into a thick fuzzy end that is a nightmare to poke through tiny threading holes. Luckily you use it only on the loopers and not in the needles. With just a few aprons I got plenty of threading experience because I often changed colors and I managed to break a lot of threads. The tie on method of re threading NEVER works for me and it took longer for me to tie square knots than just thread it .
My biggest problem is shown below. I would get a whole hem done and then find a skipped area!*#!
The only fix seems to be to go back and do it all over again and shave an 1/8 of an inch off.
OH! BROTHER! or is it really supposed to be OH, BOTHER?
Even with all the anguish and gnashing of teeth, I feel I learned a lot and now can thread, re thread, troubleshoot and feel a level of comfort with this little brother.
Perhaps you think this has too much of a Minnie Mouse vibe, but I really like it. The red fabric has a tiny white dot. And these chickens are too cute.
Two potholders were the crowning touch made from a tutorial found on Pinterest. I couldn't resist altering its directions as well. I used that silver coated heat resistant quilted stuff inside the larger side. The directions called for terry cloth which I did use inside the yellow gathered pocket area.
In two weeks I am going to be selling in a little arts and crafts show in Seville, Ohio so I am trying to have a good supply and I am also going to offer some deals on some items that have proved slow to sell on Etsy.